Monday, February 11, 2008

2008: FROM A REAL, GENUINE, AMATEUR OP!

THIS INCREDIBLY INTERESTING EMAIL FROM BOB BALLANTINE (W8SU) AND FORMER W2RIE CAME IN THIS MORNING'S EMAIL BOB, THIS IS LIKE GETTING AN EMAIL FROM THE GREAT BEYOND. THANKS SO MUCH FOR WRITING. I WILL CERTAINLY TAKE THE TIME TO VISIT WWW.W8JYZ.COM AND VISIT WITH MY FELLOW MORSE INTERCEPT COLLEAGUE.

Tom, what you are doing is priceless! Keep up the good work. I came thru Trenton as a boy in the 50s -- got my Novice ticket and then 1958 General class (W2RIE) I'm now W8SU and a lot of mileage. Sid Dietz is an old friend, bless him, I used to talk to him on his noon break on 75 Meter phone, he operated in his car out in the lot and I was at home on Hamilton Avenue with a cheap Knight Kit and army surplus receiving gear wondering what I would become in life. Soon I knew.
I have a lot of data on the www.w8jyz.com internet page and one you might like is Sgt Johnny Cash, USAF Intercept Operator. Scroll down on the left side and click on him.
I have made it a habit to write about VIP hams and everyday people who have influenced me over the years and tributes. Because of ham radio, it kept me off the streets and gave me direction and many life long friends. If there is a picture of Carl Dannerth W3LH in any Trenton HS publications, I'd appreciate one, would insert it on his tribute page that I wrote. Carl was a long time, well respected THS teacher who is a silent key.
By the way, I noticed the R390 that you fondly speak of, it was a top secret receiver early on and the USS Pueblo (Elant) ship had several racks of them. They were not destroyed and the ship is on public view in North Korea.
I considered Ed Raser a personal friend. I only wish his extensive collection remained in Trenton but that is ancient history. He was a Society of Wireless Pioneer of which I also belonged and had many fond hours over the years chatting with him. His wife Polly was also a pioneer ham. Ed talked about stringing a wire along the river bridge in the early radio days, the bridge that has the "Trenton makes" sign, he said it got out well on the air!
Radio is my life and recently I put together a Elecraft amateur HF kit, I no longer lament Heath Kit going out of business, Elecraft out of California is the real deal! It is a fabulous kit and as good or better than any imported rig on the market! and I doood it myself! It is the K2 and I've got a special serial number, yes - 6 1 4 6 - the old power tube that we grew to love over 50 years. One word to the wise, the Kw is sweat equity, don't undertake unless you mean business. My old eyes could not do the job, I needed a desk mag lite. It took two weeks of extensive wiring and a final tune up and I was amazed and pleased to say the least.
I have a WTNJ story, TNJ always ran low power and the tower just outside of town was not very high, they would run weekend contests where one would call in and win a hour or two on the air and you played disc jockey. I won two sessions in the 50s, I can't remember the location but the studio was a two story home, residential type, somewhere near the State Prison. the Gent on duty was a friend of Bob Keesham who became Capt Kangaroo! I've often wished I could remember who the guy on duty was then, he was polite and understanding to a kid.
Regards, keep well and hope to hear from you Sir!
Bob Ballantine W8SU -- Warren, Ohio formerly W2RIE and former active USCG radioman and former Ohio State Highway Patrol. E-gads, I'm getting old.


No comments: